A San Antonio woman was hurt early this morning when a space heater started a fire in her home. Thankfully, according to the San Antonio Express-News, she’s expected to be okay and the fire didn’t cause much damage. But her story serves as a warning about the dangers of space heaters. It’s incredibly important to make sure and follow certain space heater safety precautions.
Here are some of the things The Consumer Product Safety Commission warns against doing while using a space heater to warm your home.
- Never let a space heater run while you are asleep.
- Never move a space heater close to someone who is asleep.
- Never use gasoline in a kerosene space heater.
- Never use an outdoor space heater indoors.
In addition, always make sure and keep a space heater at least three feet away from the drapes, curtains, bedding, tablecloths, etc.
Space heaters can be incredibly useful especially if they are the sole sources of heat, but please be very careful when using them. The professionals at Champion AC can help you get your heating system ready for the winter months. So let’s practice safe heater precautions and avoid more stories like the one this morning here in San Antonio.
Ben is a retired Combat Controller with the United States Air Force. He started Champion AC in 2007. Ben is originally from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. He is happily married and an avid fan of the San Antonio Spurs and New Orleans Saints.