We’re wrapping up one of the coldest weeks, if not THE coldest week, of this winter season so far. I know we normally associate being energy efficient with summer time and air conditioning, but your heating system can put just as big a dent on your electric bill.
So here are a couple of simple tips from the Department of Energy to take a bite out of that huge utility bill.
- You can save up to 1% on your electricity bill for every one degree you turn down the thermostat.
- Make sure you are properly using your fireplace. There are plenty of pieces of good advice here.
- Use the sun to your advantage. Even on colder days, opening the drapes on windows that face the south can naturally heat up your home.
- Likewise, keep the drapes closed on windows that don’t face the sun. Also, keep the curtains closed at night. This keeps the warm air in.
- Make sure your heater is properly tuned. It’s recommended your heating and air conditioning maintenance happen twice a year.
Those are all fairly simple steps that could help you in the long run. As I’ve said before, every dollar counts.
Ben is a retired Combat Controller with the United States Air Force. He started Champion AC in 2007. Ben is originally from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. He is happily married and an avid fan of the San Antonio Spurs and New Orleans Saints.