We’re wrapping up one of the coldest weeks, if not THE coldest week, of this winter season so far. I know we normally associate being energy efficient with summertime and air conditioning, but your heating system can put just as big a dent on your electric bill.
So here are a couple of simple tips from the Department of Energy to take a bite out of that huge utility bill.
- You can save up to 1% on your electricity bill for every one degree you turn down the thermostat.
- Make sure you are properly using your fireplace. There are plenty of pieces of good advice here.
- Use the sun to your advantage. Even on colder days, opening the drapes on windows that face the south can naturally heat up your home.
- Likewise, keep the drapes closed on windows that don’t face the sun. Also, keep the curtains closed at night. This keeps the warm air in.
- Make sure your heater is properly tuned. It’s recommended your heating and air conditioning maintenance happen twice a year.
Those are all fairly simple steps that could help you in the long run. As I’ve said before, every dollar counts.