If you’re like most homeowners, you probably don’t think about your air conditioning system very often. Thoughts about the well-being of your device won’t cross your mind, that is, until your home feels too hot!
At Champion Home Services we understand how the busyness of everyday life can put AC maintenance on the back burner of your mind. However, severe weather such as thunderstorms, hail or high winds can damage your unit more quickly than you’d think. As one of the most thorough HVAC businesses in the area, you can rely on our team of trusty technicians to handle any repairs, installations or tune-ups you may need.
Read on for more information on ways to protect your air conditioning unit and how rain can negatively affect your HVAC system.
The Impact Of Water Damage On Your AC Unit
Wondering why heavy rainstorms could be dangerous for your air conditioning system? Depending on where your unit is situated on your property, it may be susceptible to damage when flooding occurs.
If you notice that your HVAC is partially submerged or fully submerged during a heavy storm, the wiring and motor components could be faulty afterward and in need of replacements. Large amounts of rain can also waterlog your unit and cause debris to become lodged in hard-to-reach places.
Scheduling an inspection or maintenance appointment after a severe storm is usually the best first step to ensure your air conditioner runs efficiently.
How Does Other Weather Affect My HVAC System?
Interested in learning more about the ways other elements impact your AC unit? Here are some common, weather-related issues:
- High winds can cause debris to crash into or become stuck inside your unit.
- Extremely high temperatures can cause your HVAC unit to breakdown.
- Hail or sleet can damage the outside of your unit and find its way into little nooks and crannies where mold may begin to grow.
- Cold temperatures can cause your system to run sluggishly, insufficiently lubricating your compressor and damaging the unit.
Though escaping the elements is virtually impossible for devices like your air conditioning unit, it’s always helpful to be educated on ways the weather may damage your system.
Ways To Protect Your Air Conditioning System
When it comes to safeguarding your HVAC system, there are a few simple ways you can keep it running efficiently and effectively for the long run. Some of the most common tips and tricks include:
- Shutting off your AC unit before the power goes out in your home
- Installing hail guards before the storm comes
- Keeping your lawn consistently clean and clear of debris
- Investing in a surge protector
- Ensuring that all electrical wires are insulated from the elements
- Angling downspouts away from the area where your HVAC is installed
- Regularly cleaning your AC unit and washing away debris and dirt
Practicing these tips and tricks can help your system run longer and maintain its performance levels even after bad weather strikes.
Champion Home Services – Your Trusty San Antonio AC Company No Matter The Weather!
Just like any other home appliance, your HVAC system needs some attention every once in a while in order to keep it running smoothly.
At Champion Home Services, we’re always happy to take a look at your unit and inspect it for weather damage or parts that are worn down. From heater tune-ups to air duct repairs, ductless AC installations and so much more – our team has your heating and cooling needs covered.
Don’t hesitate to contact us if your air conditioner isn’t functioning properly or it’s time to schedule a tune-up.