As we count down to 2014, many people are starting to think about their resolutions for the new year. In addition to healthy living, increased family time and saying farewell to any vices, it’s never too soon (or late) to be more energy conscious. There are so many simple energy-saving habits that easily fit into your daily routine. Here are a few of our favorite at Champion AC!
- Take five minutes out of your day to program your thermostat when the seasons change. A properly programmed thermostat can save homeowners up to 20% on their energy bill. They even make thermostats that learn your heating and cooling behaviors to set the most efficient temperatures for your home. Check out the Nest Learning Thermostat at Champion AC today!
- In the winter months, it gets darker sooner. You may be tempted to light up your home to compensate for the lack of sunshine, but resist! If your home has incandescent lights, turn them off whenever they aren’t directly needed. Only 10% of the energy used actually produces light. The remaining 90% merely puts out heat and wastes energy. Switch to LED lightbulbs, and only use them when necessary. You’ll save 75% off of your usual energy costs and, don’t forget, fireworks look better in the dark!
- Ceiling fans aren’t just for summertime. Are you using yours to save energy? You can put less pressure on your heater and keep your home more evenly comfortable by switching the rotation on your ceiling fans. In the winter, make sure your fans are rotating clockwise. This will push all of the rising warm air back down into your living space. That means less toggling on and off for your heater and less adding and subtracting layers for you.
- With all of the holiday shopping and comings and goings of guests, it’s easy to leave doors and garages propped open for ease of access. Do your best to cut back on these energy-wasting behaviors. Whether you’re unloading groceries or decorating your home, mentally plan to make less trips. Making this little change will keep your conditioned air from escaping into the wintry outdoors.
For the remainder of this year, and as you start the next, make an effort to save energy. Less waste, lower bills and higher comfort are sure to make for a happy new year. What are some of your new year’s resolutions? How will you save energy in 2014?
Ben is a retired Combat Controller with the United States Air Force. He started Champion AC in 2007. Ben is originally from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. He is happily married and an avid fan of the San Antonio Spurs and New Orleans Saints.