A circuit overloads when there are too many powerful appliances plugged into the same outlet – and can cause a fire if not attended to quickly. Electrical home safety should always be top of mind, so here are four signs that one of your outlets or circuits are experiencing an overload in your home. You could even have an overloaded circuit that you don’t know about!
Getting Shocked When Plugging Something in
If you shock yourself when plugging something into a certain outlet, this is one of the biggest signs that the outlet is overloaded. A way to see if it’s the circuit and not the appliance is to plug in your appliance to another outlet. If it doesn’t shock you, it was that circuit being overworked.
Noticing an Electrical Burning Smell
Even the slightest burning odor coming from one of your outlets can be a warning that the circuit is being overloaded. If you still notice a burning odor after moving your appliances to another outlet and plugging it back in, or removing the appliance completely, contact a professional immediately.
A Flickering Light
If you notice that one of your lights is flickering or blinking on and off, try replacing the light bulb. If the flickering continues, that circuit is being overloaded. Move this appliance elsewhere to avoid sparking and starting a fire.
Hearing a Clicking or Buzzing Sound From an Appliance
If you hear a clicking or buzzing sound coming from one of your lights or appliances while they’re turned on, this can also be a sign of an overloaded circuit. Plug in that appliance somewhere else to see if the sound continues. If the sound stops, that specific circuit was being overworked. If it doesn’t stop, your appliance may need replacing.
It’s vital as a renter or homeowner to stay informed on electrical safety. If you’re unsure of whether or not you’re overloading any of your circuits, contact Champion Home Services to have your electrical system examined by a San Antonio electrician at a fair price.