Sleeping in the cold during summer or waking up warm in the winter, along with doing things around the house in a comfortable temperature, sounds appealing to most anyone, but it could be coming at a cost unbeknownst to you. So here are some energy saving tips to help guide you along.
Many people don’t realize how much money they lose every year by keeping their thermostats too high or too low. According to the Department of Energy, turning your thermostat to a higher temperature for eight hours a day (perhaps while you’re out of the house) will help you see an energy usage reduction of 5-15 percent per year on your electric bill.
During the warmer summer months, it’s recommended that you set your thermostat to 78 degrees. But, for every degree higher you set your thermostat, you should save approximately six to eight percent off your energy bill!
During the winter months, setting your heat at 68 degrees will also help reduce your bill by 5-15 percent.
Aside from setting your thermostat to a warmer (or cooler in the winter) temperature than you may prefer, here are some additional energy saving tips:
- The most energy-efficient way to cook things is by using a microwave. It uses two-thirds less energy than your stove does.
- Dishwashers use less water than hand-washing dishes, so save some time and put them in the dishwasher! Only run it when it’s fully loaded.
- Do your laundry more efficiently by using the cold-water setting, and always line dry.
- Always turn off lights and unplug appliances when they’re not in use.
- Having a top-of-the-line, energy-efficient air conditioner with clean filters will reduce energy consumption.
The simplest things can make the biggest difference in your energy bill in a very short amount of time. Controlling the energy we use in our everyday activities is very easy, if we just spend some time to think about it. Try to save a little bit of energy in every task you do in a given day, and it will pay off in no time!
If you have questions about energy efficient, Champion AC is a San Antonio AC company willing to help! We consult with homeowners to help them find the most efficient solutions so they can see those electric bills getting smaller and smaller.
What Can You Do To Save Energy? [A Homeowner’s Guide]July 11, 2022
If your recent energy bill was ridiculously high and you are seeking help on how…
Why Should I Update My Electrical Panel?September 4, 2019
The electrical panel is the backbone of your home’s electrical system. Most people probably don’t…